Monday, March 28, 2011

Sticka-what?

When you travel to Canada, you have to go through customs. You wait in a long line for a stern-looking officer to ask you to approach a booth and to present your passport and customs form.
When it was my turn to approach the booth, the officer asked what I was going to be doing in Canada.
I said, "I am traveling in British Columbia to study fish."
Then the officer asked me, "What specifically are you studying about fish?"
"I am studying the habitats and behaviors of two species of stickleback fish."
"Sticka-what?"
"Stickleback. They are small bait-sized fish."
"Why would you want to study them?"
"To understand what impacts biodiversity."
"Oh. Okay. Have a nice trip."

Just goes to show that you never know when you will need to explain your research to the public.